My mom and I went to this fabulous event called "Mommy's Market!" It is essentially a two day consignment event that took place in a local church. There was everything baby and toddler, from clothes, toys, books and the bigger items; such as, cribs, high chairs, bouncers, swings, cradles etc. We had such a fun time! I bought a BRAND NEW high chair, a fabulous cradle and a giant bag of really nice baby clothes. And Grandma Linda bought a fabulous play yard for her house! It was a perfect Friday date, baby shopping and than lunch at Whole Foods!
I had to go in to work both days this weekend, which was not fun, but I made money so can't complain. And I was able to spend some time playing with Baby Kyle! Who was super active and giggly and he learned how to roll over yesterday! Plus I got to spend some time with my friend Rachel, which doesn't get to happen as often as I would like, darn work!
And now...It's Jonathan. So let’s talk nursery.
Before I jump into cuddly bunnies and painted children flying kites on
the accent wall, we need to cover the bases.
First off there is the word ‘nursery’ that, in all honestly, has always bothered me. How many of you have ever bought plants? That’s right you buy them at a nursery. That doesn’t bother me so much because, well,
our last name is Maple and we fondly refer to our little baby as our “Little
Sapling.” I image people whose last
names are Birch, Cottonwood, Elm and Oak etc.. enjoy the same liberty. If your last name is Ivy, you can’t use sapling. You could use seedling but good luck keeping
any daughters off that stripper pole.
Hopefully, you were savvy enough to make their given Poison. At least she’ll have the chance for a normal
life through a lifelong career of roller derby.
Ok…where was I?...Ah yes, “nursery”…the word of a thousand
meanings. We all remember Nursery Rhymes
right? Well, that’s where it gets
me. The buck stops there. Whether we were merrily singing about some
poor egg’s death from falling off a wall or the Bubonic Plague they never made
me feel all that merry. Sure, you can
recite “Ring around the Rosy” till the cows come home. But what if they come home with Mad Cow
disease?...and you just happen to be in the middle of dinner…enjoying your 1/2lb
hamburger? Do you remember the old rhyme
of “Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary?” That
was a lovely shout out to Queen Mary and her bloody torture of the
Protestants. Does this mean our boy won’t
have a nursery? Or that we won’t teach
him the wonderful nursery rhymes? Not at
all, but I will enjoy teaching him the history and to “read between the lines”
if you will. And for the record, I loved
Bambi. Our baby will too.
Now that you’ve read all that… no, I’m not on drugs. However, I have been recently imbued with a
new ability to dream massive amounts of INCREDIBLY STRANGE AND UNORDINARILY
INEXPLICABLE events (and new words). I have been
pregnant, I have molted a layer of fat skin only to have it be replaced by
another layer of fat skin. I had a photo op with my wife where we “touched our
baby bellies” together. SERIOUSLY WHAT
THE F#@$ It’s been a wild week of “who
spiked my smoothie with shrooms?” that’s for sure. I’m going to test our house for radon…there
just has to be something in the air...
So, back to a tone more centered on normality, Tara hit up some fantastic
buys at a joint mommy garage sale this past week with her Mom. They have been busy outfitting with the best
of everything we’ll need for our baby boy.
I was very impressed with her $1 and $2 dollar finds for clothes. Don’t worry, they are incredibly cute clothes,
not hobo baby outfits. I really love all
this baby stuff and I have been getting rid of old things to make room for it
all. Even the garage is coming together and
pretty soon, we’ll have a yard that our family can play in and enjoy. I really just love Tara a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment